2018 Reserve Sauvignon Blanc

The 2018 Reserve Sauvignon Blanc is crafted from two vineyard sites in Washington State AVAs, located in the Yakima Valley and Royal Slope region of the Columbia Valley. Each vineyard is farmed using sustainable practices. For maximum concentration, both vineyards were farmed at one cluster per shoot and then hand-harvested in the early morning between September 10th - September 14th. Upon arriving in the winery, each vineyard lot was hand-sorted, whole cluster pressed and left to settle for 24-48 hours. The wine was fermented in a combination of small concrete eggs and larger French oak puncheons. A small amount of lees was kept with the wine during racking and then moved to two 860L French oak puncheons where it was rolled for 3 months before being settled in bottle on July 3rd, 2019. This wine was evaluated over 40 times by our winemaking team. Only 2 large format barrels were used, resulting in 171 cases.

This wine is currently not available. Join the mailing list to stay informed about Matthews releases.

Join The Mailing List

"Editor's Choice. Fermented in concrete eggs and puncheons, this wine is a blend of Royal Slope and Yakima Valley fruit. Appealing aromas of pink grapefruit, whole ginger, herb, gooseberry, wet slate, kiwi, white peach and citrus are followed by medium-bodied, well-balanced tropical and citrus fruit flavors, with a lingering finish that ups the interest. It brings a sense of seriousness and heft and should do well with some bottle age. Serious stuff."

92 points - Sean Sullivan, Wine Enthusiast

Tasting Notes

Notes of bergamot, ginger, white flowers and green tea. Swirling adds caramelized kumquat, lightly toasted puff pastry and white peach pit. The palate has a hint of bloomed baking spice, pithy citrus and vibrant acidity. A beautifully complex wine with density, verve and a spice filled finish.

Scores & Reviews

"Bright, light yellow. Musky scents of grapefruit and lime pith, white pepper, mint, ginger and anise, plus hints of riper soft citrus fruits and white flowers and a faint mineral quality. Seamless and fine-grained on entry, then dense but utterly smooth in the middle palate, showing lovely spicy lift to its riper stone fruit and citrus flavors. More horizontal than vertical today, this wine finishes quite dry, with a gingery firmness. Very distinctive Washington Sauvignon Blanc."
- Stephen Tanzer, Vinous

"Including 3% Semillon, the 2018 Sauvignon Blanc Reserve comes from the Boushey and Stillwater Creek vineyards. Offering Bordeaux blanc-like notes of lemon curd, mint, sappy flowers, and subtle rocky minerality, it's medium-bodied, has bright acidity, plenty of mid-palate depth and texture, and a clean finish. It’s going to keep for a solid 3-5 years."
- Jeb Dunnuck, jebdunnuck.com

Wine Facts

Labeled Appellation:

Columbia Valley

Vineyard(s):

Boushey Touro, Stillwater Creek Vineyard

Varietal Composition:

97% Sauvignon Blanc, 3% Sémillon

Vinification:

Fermented in 85% concrete egg, 12% used French oak and 3% new French oak. Aged for 3 months in fermentation vessels and 6 months in 860L French oak puncheons.

Alcohol:

13.6%

Cases Produced:

171

Drinkability:

Now-2021

Trade Materials

Additional Information about this vintage

Harvest & Farming Practices: Fruit from the Boushey Touro Vineyard in the Yakima Valley was farmed at one cluster per shoot for both the Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon. Together they comprised 88% of this wine while the remaining 12% came from Stillwater Creek Vineyard on the Royal Slope. Both sites slope slightly north and are farmed with vertical shoot positioning. A light western sprawl is allowed at Stillwater Creek to protect from the afternoon sun. The Boushey Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon were harvested by hand the morning of September 11th, while the Stillwater Creek Sauvignon Blanc was harvested by hand the morning of the 14th of September.

Downloadable Materials

Download for your reading pleasure

Explore the Reserve Sauvignon Blanc Vintages

The Matthews Mailing List is the best way to learn about events, receive special invitations, and buy our wines.

Mailing List Image